OCCAR has awarded the contract, by delegation of DGA and SGD, to the Franco-Italian consortium eurosam; backed by its three shareholders MBDA France, MBDA Italy and Thales. This contract complements the first contract signed in 2016 with the objective to enhance the SAMP/T systems operational in the French Air and Space Force and the Italian Army.
With this contract, eurosam is able to deliver an important enhancement of the SAMP/T system based on:
– An enhanced missile to enlarge the ASTER family: the ASTER Block 1 NT (new technology) with a new seeker and a new computer able to face the new emerging threats.
– An upgraded launcher featuring new electronic equipment.
– A new multifunction rotating Active Electronically Scanned Array radar.
– A command and control module based on upgraded open command and control software architecture and enhanced connectivity.
The SAMP/T NG is designed to achieve all Ground-Based Air Defense missions with enhanced key capabilities. It is a long-range surface-to-air missile defense system able to:
– Operate in a dense civilian air environment, in cooperation with friendly military aircraft and fully integrated into air defense networks.
– Provide a 360-degree protection to armed forces and sensitive civil or military sites.
– Offer a dual capability to defeat simultaneously all types of targets, in any combination of types.
– Counter emerging and future threats as diverse as manoeuvring ballistic missiles, re-entry vehicle ballistic missiles, high-speed tactical missiles, UAVs and highly manoeuvring aircraft, in a saturation attack scenario and a challenging cyber environment. – Deploy quickly with a limited number of personnel and integrate easily in an air-defense network.
With these enhanced features, SAMP/T NG will provide to France, Italy and any other customer, the capability to guarantee their airspace sovereignty, to protect their territory and population and to protect their troops in operations.